Empowering Police Wives Will Improve National Security, Eradicate Corruption - Zahra Bunu Abubakar

Mrs Zahra Bunu-Abubakar, the President of Police Officer’s Wives Association (POWA), is also wife of the Inspector General of Police. She speaks about her experience of being police officer wife and about women's role in National Security of Nigeria.

About being the wife of the Inspector General of Police: I wasn’t used to being in the limelight, I am more of a private person, initially it was quite challenging but he supported, guided and protected me and now I am better off. I met my husband at a mutual friends house.

I knew the man I was marrying, and I also know the security situation in the country and how much Nigerians need him. I also know that security in our country should be given utmost priority in order to create a better country and conducive environment for our children. Despite his tight schedule he tries his best to create time for his family.

About POWA organization: The Police Force is the largest single organization in Nigeria and as such POWA is a large family. POWA encompasses both the wives and children of Police officers. It is Police Officers Wives Association but we impact on the lives of our children. A lot of women are idle we all know that sourcing for funds is quite challenging. At the moment we solicit for funds from the general public, captains of industries, and individuals.

It is worthy to note that the Nigeria Police Force have always been of support to POWA. Empowering Police wives will help in tackling insecurity in our land. It will also help in eradicating corruption, as this will accord the wives the opportunity to be of assistance to their husbands, thereby aiding to eradicate corruption in the Force. I feel if they are empowered they would have every reason to contribute their portion in actualizing the vision of POWA.

About POWA's vision: POWA aims to become an effective, sustainable organization that actively enhances the quality of life of women and children of the Police and serve as a recognized resource for community partnership, post conflict rehabilitation and youth empowerment.

About combining roles of a wife and POWA President: Obviously my husband is my priority, the association teaches us to support our husbands and so I give him all the required support. My husband is passionate about changing the lives of the Police, he does his best to support POWA.

About POWA's assistance to the widows: We have been trying to ensure they get the benefits of their late husbands. Sometimes these women don’t even know who the next of kin to their husband is, the process of documentation, or how to go about it. During our visits to the barracks we brought in welfare and pension experts to lecture and enlighten them on these important issues. We are presently in discussion with Police Micro Finance Bank to help give soft loans to these women to ensure they have access to funding.

About life philosophy: I generally belief that you should treat one as you would like to be treated, I live my life that way and I am always conscious of life hereafter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MEET Ibadan Prophet Who Has Not Had His Bath & Had Sex In 13 Years

Stop JTF’s invasion of Bayelsa communities, activist tells Jonathan